- Biblical judge (Judges, 10:6–12:7) who led Israel imto war against the powerful Ammonites. Before the decisive battle, he made a vow according to which, in the event of a victory, he would sacrifice to YHWH the first thing that came to meet him on his return home. That "thing," however, turned out to be his beloved only daughter, who had rushed to meet him and celebrate his victory.
A literal reading of the biblical passage suggests that Jephthah did go through with his vow and that he did, in effect, sacrifice his daughter. Other interpretations claim that the Bible's language should be understood in such a way that the girl was banished to the nearby mountains, and to a life of perpetual virginity, but that her life was ultimately spared.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Media in category "Jephthah"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- 'Jephthah's Daughter' by Chauncey Bradley Ives, High Museum.JPG 1,169 × 3,542; 303 KB
- 5517-jefta-dochters.jpg 616 × 700; 143 KB
- Elizabeth Siddal - Study for 'Jephthah's Daughter'.jpg 365 × 600; 26 KB
- Emil Wolff Jephta und seine Tochter Johanneskirche Erbach Deutschland - 20110824.jpg 2,736 × 3,648; 3.66 MB
- James Gundee & M. Jones - Jeptha's Rash Vow.jpg 6,160 × 9,168; 13.83 MB
- Jeftan tytar.jpg 350 × 363; 26 KB
- Jephthah makes a sacrifice of a his daughter according to hi Wellcome V0034290.jpg 2,310 × 3,126; 3.64 MB
- Jephthah-Jephte.jpg 387 × 397; 80 KB
- Jephthah.jpg 800 × 668; 389 KB
- Jepthah and his Daughter, Walker Art Gallery.jpg 600 × 800; 124 KB
- Tapisserie Brüssel Jephta und seine Tochter c1630.jpg 4,096 × 2,940; 3.21 MB
- Terugkeer van Jefta, WFM.jpg 3,888 × 2,592; 5.31 MB