Category:John of Saxony
- "John of Saxony" may also refer to John, Elector of Saxony (1468–1532).
John was born in the Saxon capital Dresden. He was the son of Maximilian, Prince of Saxony (1759-1838), and his first wife, Caroline of Bourbon-Parma (1770-1804). He became King of Saxony after the death of his brother Frederick Augustus II of Saxony in 1854. John was succeeded as king by his son Albert, King of Saxony.
On 21 November 1822 at Dresden, John married Princess Amalie Auguste of Bavaria (1801-1877), daughter of King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria (1756-1825) and his second wife Caroline of Baden (1776-1841). Amelia's twin sister Elisabeth Ludovika of Bavaria was the queen consort of King Frederick William IV of Prussia. John and Amelia had nine children:
- Maria Auguste (1827-1857)
- Albert, King of Saxony (1828-1902). Married Carola of Vasa, daughter of Crown Prince Gustav of Sweden
- Elizabeth (1830-1912). Married first Ferdinand, 1st Duke of Genoa, Prince of Savoy and Sardinia, and second Niccolo Marchese Rapallo.
- Friedrich August Ernst (1831-1847)
- George of Saxony (1832-1904). Married Maria Anna of Portugal
- Maria Sidonia (1834-1862)
- Anna (1836-1859). Married Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- Margaretha (1840-1858). Married her cousin Archduke Carl Ludwig of Austria.
- Sophie (1845-1867). Married her cousin Karl-Theodor, Duke in Bavaria (brother of Empress Empress Elisabeth of Austria).
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Reiterstandbild König Johann (Dresden) (1 C, 85 F)
Media in category "John of Saxony"
The following 24 files are in this category, out of 24 total.