English: The Juye Incident refers to the events of November 1, 1897, when a band of twenty to thirty armed men broke into a Catholic missionary compound in Zhang Jia Zhuang, Juye County (Shandong province, China) and killed Richard Henle (b. July 21, 1863, Stetten near Haigerloch) and Francis Xavier Nies (b. June 11, 1859, at Rehringhausen, Olpe, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Paderborn), two German missionaries of the Society of the Divine Word. A few days later, Germany took these murders as a pretext to seize Jiaozhou Bay on Shandong's southern coast, triggering a "scramble for concessions" during which Russia, Britain, France, and Japan also secured their own sphere of influence in different regions of China. Under threats from Germany, the government of the Qing dynasty was also forced to remove many Shandong officials from their post (including governor Li Bingheng) and to build three Catholic churches in the area at its own expense. The mission that had been attacked also received 3,000 taels of silver in compensation for stolen or damaged property, and received the right to construct seven fortified residences in the area, also at government expenses. This settlement strengthened missionary work in Shandong province and was part of the events that led to the Boxer Uprising (1899–1900), a movement directed against the Christian and foreign presence in northern China.
中文: 曹州教案发生于 1897年（光绪二十三年）11月1日，中国山东省曹州府巨野县（今菏泽市巨野县）张家庄的天主教堂遭到当地大刀会土匪数人的抢劫，2名在堂内的德国神父能方济（Father Franciscus Nies）和韩理加略（Father Richard Henle）遇害，而事发前两日亦有曹州府寿张县德国教堂被劫事件。
Media in category "Juye Incident"
The following 13 files are in this category, out of 13 total.
- Francis Xavier Nies.jpg 452 × 701; 59 KB
- George maria stenz.jpg 159 × 240; 19 KB
- Henle grave jining.jpg 1,122 × 802; 420 KB
- Juye incident drawing e regler.jpg 1,044 × 834; 228 KB
- Juye incident mission chapel and priests residence.jpg 1,316 × 854; 607 KB
- Juye incident missionary compound missionaries quarters.jpg 690 × 558; 103 KB
- Juye incident missionary compound outside view.jpg 828 × 567; 109 KB
- Juye incident road marker.jpg 3,264 × 2,448; 2.01 MB
- Juye incident site.jpg 3,264 × 1,952; 1.55 MB
- Juye incident well.jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 1.21 MB
- Nies undergarment.jpg 1,478 × 640; 259 KB
- Richard henle chinese dress.jpg 404 × 701; 47 KB
- Richard Henle.jpg 470 × 753; 63 KB