Category:La Amistad (ship, 1836)
- Type: 2-masted schooner
- Design by:
- Order date:
- Built by:
- Yard No:
- Keel laid:
- Launch date:
- Date of completion: 1836
- Length over all: 37 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: m
- Draught: m
- GRT: 70 46/95 tons
- Sail area:
- Main engine:
- Speed: kn
- 1836 Named: FRIENDSHIP Flag: United States
- Sold by a Spaniard living in Cuba Renamed: LA AMISTAD Flag: Honduras The primary cargo carried was sugar-industry products, and her normal route ran from Havana to her home port of Guanaja. She also took on passengers and, on occasion, slaves for transport.
- 26.06.1839 Slaves that had been illegally transported from Africa to Cuba aboard the slave ship Tecora were led by Sengbe Pieh (later known in the United States as Joseph Cinqué) in a revolt. The 56 fellow Africans (52 adults and 4 children) were successful in gaining control of the ship and demanded to be returned home. The ship's navigator, Don Pedro Montez, deceived them about which direction their course was on and sailed the ship north along the North American coast to the eastern tip of Long Island, New York. The USS Washington (1837) of the United States Revenue Cutter Service discovered the schooner and took her and her occupants into custody. They took the Africans to New Haven, Connecticut to be tried in court. The ship was moored at the wharf behind the US Custom House in New London, Connecticut.
- 10.1840 Auctioned off by the U.S. Marshal to Captain George Hawford, of Newport, Rhode Island. He then needed an Act of Congress passed to register her. Renamed: ION Flag: United States
- Late 1841 Sailed to Bermuda and Saint Thomas with a typical New England cargo of onions, apples, live poultry, and cheese.
- 1844 Sold Flag: Guadaloupe
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "La Amistad (ship, 1836)"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "La Amistad (ship, 1836)"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Amistad revolt.jpg 750 × 315; 173 KB
- Amistad2010.jpg 3,648 × 2,736; 1.95 MB
- Cinque.jpg 155 × 238; 38 KB
- La Amistad (ship) restored.jpg 1,641 × 972; 367 KB
- La Amistad (ship).jpg 1,641 × 972; 744 KB
- Plea to the Jurisdiction of Cinque and Others, 08-21-1839 - 08-21-1839 (6667098965).jpg 2,428 × 4,006; 341 KB
- Steven Spielberg.jpg 400 × 503; 29 KB
- Supreme court opinion Amsitad.gif 496 × 790; 260 KB
- Warrant for Habeas Corpus, 11-19-1839 - 11-19-1839 (6667097525).jpg 2,363 × 3,912; 504 KB