Category:Louis N. Jaffe Art Theater
The Village East movie theatre on Second Avenue and 12th Street in the East Village, Manhattan, New York City, was formerly the Yiddish Art Theatre, the Phoenix, and the Louis N. Jaffe Theater. Desgned by Harrison G. Weisman to resemble a "Semitic"-style synagogue,, built in 1925-1926. Second Avenue in the early 20th Century was known as the "Jewish Rialto" due to the large number of Yiddish theatres in the area. This theatre was built by developer Louis N. Jaffee for the actor Maurice Schwartz, who was known as "Mr. Second Avenue". It has been a New York City landmark since 1993. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC 4th ed. and Guide to NYC Landmarks 4th ed.)
Media in category "Louis N. Jaffe Art Theater"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.