Category:Montrose (Caledonian) railway station
|Instance of||architectural structure|
This is a category about listed building number38220.
English: Historic Scotland Category B listed building - formal title "RAILWAY PLACE, CALEDONIAN HOUSE (FORMER STATION) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS". Former Scottish North Eastern Railway and subsequent Caledonian Railway terminus on the short branch off the main Aberdeen Railway which ran from Aberdeen to Guthrie in Angus. The line from Guthrie would continue via Forfar, Perth, Glasgow and Carlisle then onto London, forming an Aberdeen to London route on the west coast, the terminus at Montrose being as far south as the original railway reached on the east coast. A junction connecting the Aberdeen Railway to the North British, Arbroath and Montrose railway at Montrose was added and the decision taken to use the North British Railway's station at Montrose instead, allowing through services to Arbroath and Dundee without having to reverse and use the inland route via Dun and Friockheim. The station is reported as having closed on 30th April 1934. The building is presently in use as a residential/nursing home and features a glass canopy to the rear of the building, covering the platform, although original in appearance the station was built with a trainshed and the canopy is a recent addition. The Montrose North British station was renamed simply Montrose and remains open serving Montrose on the main Aberdeen to Edinburgh route, retaining direct services to London via the east coast (former North British) route.
Media in category "Montrose (Caledonian) railway station"
This category contains only the following file.
- Montrose (Cal) station.jpg 3,822 × 2,511; 1.1 MB