English: In Greek mythology, the Naiads (from the Greek νάειν, "to flow," and νἃμα, "running water") were a type of nymph who presided over fountains, wells, springs, streams, and brooks, as river gods embodied rivers, and some very ancient spirits inhabited the still waters of marshes, ponds and lagoon-lakes, such as pre-Mycenaean Lerna in the Argolid. Naiads were associated with fresh water, as the Oceanids were with saltwater and the Nereids specifically with the Mediterranean; but because the Greeks thought of the world's waters as all one system, which percolated in from the sea in deep cavernous spaces within the bosom of the earth, to rise freshened in seeps and springs, there was some overlap.
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► The Nymph of the Spring by Lucas Cranach (I) (1 P, 20 F)
- ► Fontana delle Naiadi (Rome) (1 P, 46 F)
- ► Quellnymphe by Werner F. Kunz (38 F)
- ► Round Pool (Schönbrunn) (19 F)
Media in category "Naiads"
The following 63 files are in this category, out of 63 total.
- Arnold Böcklin 001.jpg 301 KB
- Cyprian Kamil Norwid Najady.PNG 2.92 MB
- Draper-The Water Nymph.jpg 1.26 MB
- Grotte naiades.JPG 1.46 MB
- Henner - Naiad.png 5.78 MB
- Les Naiades de la mer.jpg 173 KB
- Naiade&dauphin.jpg 633 KB
- Naiade-Les-Fâcheux.jpg 91 KB
- Naïade (Renaudot).jpg 1.12 MB
- Nymphe Höner Köln.jpg 1.01 MB
- Rae - Water Nymphs (color).png 2.74 MB
- Thomas Rowlandson (28).jpg 132 KB
- Turnhout 010.jpg 1.68 MB
- Vase-Grand Peterhof Palace.jpg 2.45 MB
- Naiad1.jpg 190 KB
- Zuerich-Wipkingen 6095270.JPG 8.03 MB
- Ростр с наядой. Профиль.jpg 602 KB
- Ростр с наядой. Фас.jpg 608 KB