Category:New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture
|Instance of||art school|
|Location||New York, United States of America|
The three former row houses at 8-12 West 8th Street (built in 1838) between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, were converted in 1931 by Auguste L. Noel of Noel & Miller into the first home of the Whitney Museum of American Art, which sculptor Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney had established in 1929, after the Metropolitan Museum of Art rejected the donation of her extensive collection of contemporary and avant-garde artworks. (In 1914, Whitney had started the Whitney Studio at 8 West 8th Street, just behind her own studio on MacDougal Alley.) The museum was located here until 1954, when it moved uptown. The building is currently, along with 14 West 8th Street (built in 1900), the New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculture, and is located within the Greenwich Village Historic District. (Source: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.))
Media in category "New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.