The Old or Former Ministry of Labour Building at 3 Havelock Square, Singapore 059725, was built in 1928 for the Chinese Protectorate, an administrative body responsible for the well-being of ethnic Chinese residents of the Straits Settlements. The Protectorate had occupied a building on an adjacent site on Havelock Road from 1886; that building was demolished in 1930. After World War II, the Chinese Protectorate was abolished and its responsibilities managed by various administrative departments such as Education, Immigration, Labour and Social Welfare. Following the 1955 general election, a Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare was formed, and this was renamed the Ministry of Labour and Law after the 1959 general election. The building was used by these ministries, and subsequently by the Subordinate Courts (renamed the State Courts in 2014) to house the Family and Juvenile Courts. The Ministry of Law and Ministry of Manpower are now separate ministries.