The Old (or Former) Parliament House and Annex Building, formerly with the address 9 Empress Place, Singapore 179557, and now at 1 Old Parliament Lane, Singapore 179429, were jointly gazetted as a national monument on .
The main building was originally built as a residence for the merchant John Argyle Maxwell by architect George Drumgoole Coleman in 1826–1827, making it the oldest building in Singapore used for government purposes. The annex building was constructed in 1839. Instead of living in the house, Maxwell leased it to the Government for use as Singapore's first courthouse. The building was eventually sold to Governor George Bonham and the East India Company in October 1842. It served as a courthouse up to 1865, and again from 1875 until 1939, when the courts moved to a purpose-built Supreme Court Building on Saint Andrew's Road. The building fell into disrepair and was used as a government storehouse during and after World War II.
The main building was enlarged and renovated several times, particularly in 1953–1954 when it was fitted out by T.H.H. Hancock for use by the Legislative Assembly of Singapore and the Government's Public Relations Office, and renamed the Assembly House. Upon Singapore's full independence in 1965, the Legislative Assembly was renamed the Parliament of the Republic of Singapore, and the building Parliament House. The building was used for this purpose until Parliament moved to the present Parliament House in 1999. The main and annex buildings were then renovated and reopened in March 2004 as a performance venue known as the Arts House at the Old Parliament.
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.