Category:Our Lady Star of the Sea Church (West Melbourne)
English: On 30 September 1852, only a few weeks after land allotments in North Melbourne became available, Very Rev Patrick Geoghegan OSF, Melbourne's first Vicar General, secured two acres, on the highest point within the block formed by Victoria, William and Chetwynd streets. A foundation stone was laid two years later, on 14 May 1854, and within six months a modest cruciform stone church was erected. Melbourne's port lay in the church's shadow, and so the church was dedicated to Our Lady, patroness of seafarers. Priests from St Francis', Melbourne's proto-cathedral, served the mission. (→St Mary Star of the Sea, West Melbourne)
Media in category "Our Lady Star of the Sea Church (West Melbourne)"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- Chapel of the Irish Saint.JPG 5.41 MB
- Estatua 1.jpg 263 KB
- Gallery.historical01.png 109 KB
- Gallery.historical06.png 129 KB
- Star of the Sea Interior 2.JPG 4.99 MB
- Star of the Sea Interior.JPG 5.16 MB
- Star of the Sea Organ.jpg 4.7 MB
- Star of the Sea Stain glass.jpg 5.19 MB
- Stmaryswestmelbourne.jpg 4.36 MB