Category:Philadelphia Savings Fund Society Building (1869)
The Philadelphia Savings Fund Society was a savings bank headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1816, the first savings bank to organize and do business in the United States. The Society went through a number of headquarters locations until 1840 when a new building designed by Thomas U. Walter in the Greek Revival style was opened at 306 Walnut Street between S. 3rd and S. 4th Streets.
Then, in 1868-9, a new Italianate-style headquarters building designed by Addison Hutton of Sloan & Hutton was completed at 700-710 Walnut Street at West Washington Square. Hutton received the commission by winning a design contest, and the resulting building established his career. Additions to the building were later made in 1885-86, 1897-98 and 1930. The 1883 addition, half of the center pavilion, was designed by Hutton; the 1897 addition, the other half of the center pavilion and the west pavilion, was designed by Frank Furness of Furness, Evans & Company; the 1929-31 addition, alterations and vault rooms, was designed by Loew & Lescaze. (Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.), Architecture in Philadelphia: A Guide and "Washington Square" on USHistory.org)
Media in category "Philadelphia Savings Fund Society Building (1869)"
The following 26 files are in this category, out of 26 total.
- 700 Walnut Philly.JPG 3,044 × 3,805; 3.27 MB
- Philadelphia Savings Fund Society (PSFS) Building.jpg 3,041 × 2,216; 1.56 MB
- PSFS.jpg 976 × 761; 114 KB