English: A piano roll is the music storage medium used to operate the player piano, pianola or a reproducing piano. The piano roll was the first medium which could be produced and copied industrially and made it possible to provide the customer with actual music quickly and easily. A piano roll is a roll of paper with perforations (holes) punched in it. The position and length of the perforation determines the note played on the piano. The roll moves over a device known as the 'tracker bar', which first had 58 holes, was expanded to 65 and then was upgraded to 88 holes (generally, one for each piano key). When a perforation passes over the hole, the note sounds.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Media in category "Piano rolls"
The following 47 files are in this category, out of 47 total.
- Duo-Art roll.jpg 1.76 MB
- Marca d'aigua Phonola.jpg 1.5 MB
- Metrostyle i Themodist.jpg 1.47 MB
- National Music Centre 7.jpg 9.39 MB
- Vladimir Pachmann.jpg 120 KB
- Piano rolls in the rack.jpg 2.71 MB
- Pianola paper tape.JPG 2.22 MB
- Player Piano Rolls.JPG 1.6 MB
- Rex Lawson 01909.JPG 3.72 MB
- Rex Lawson 01915.JPG 599 KB
- Rolle de pianola, detall.jpg 1.19 MB
- Rollos Princesa Música.jpg 5.38 MB
- Rotlle d'artista, Phonola.jpg 1,018 KB
- Rotlle de pianola, Themodist.jpg 1.28 MB
- Rotlles de pianola.JPG 2.66 MB
- WelteHandnuancierung.jpg 271 KB