English: The Popinjay (from the French papegai, or parrot) is an ancient form of target for crossbow shooting. Originally a bird tethered in a tree, it developed into a complex painted wood target atop a tall wooden pole. The popinjay forms the centrepiece of a major shooting contest and many shooters try their skill repeatedly against the same target. Scoring is awarded for shoooting off various parts of the target.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category "Popinjays"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- Die Schützenmatt in Bern 1801.jpg 889 × 1,173; 383 KB
- Johan-van-Heemskerk-Batavische-Arcadia MGG 1334.tif 3,368 × 5,245; 50.58 MB
- Kilwinning Papingos.JPG 2,288 × 1,712; 1.34 MB
- Poster Tir Fédéral de Neuchâtel 1898.jpg 570 × 800; 277 KB
- Schützenscheibe 2edit.jpg 1,180 × 1,210; 818 KB