Category:Provostry, Jerusalem

Deutsch: Die Propstei ist ein Gebäude am Rechōv Mūrīstān/Schāriʿ al-Māristān al-Ṣalāḥī (hebr. רחוב מוריסטאן / arab. شارع المارستان الصلاحي) im gleichnamigen Quartier des Christlichen Viertels der Altstadt Jerusalems. Der Bau entstand 1910 nach Plänen des Architekten Robert Leibnitz, der parallel auch das Auguste-Victoria-Hospiz (jetzt Hospital) und die Himmelfahrtskirche auf der Nordkuppe des Ölbergs errichtete. Der Bau diente zunächst gemeindlichen Zwecken der Evangelischen Gemeinde Deutscher Sprache zu Jerusalem, barg Schulräume und war Sitz des Deutschen Vereins zu Jerusalem (eine landsmannschaftliche Verbindung). Von 1924 bis 1939 beherbergte der Bau das Deutsche Evangelische Institut für Altertumswissenschaft des Heiligen Landes. Ab 1950 nutze die lutherische Kirchengemeinde arabischer Sprache zu Jerusalem den Bau und richtete auch eine Schule ein. Seit 1954 dient der Bau als Propstei, also Sitz des Auslandspastors der Kirchengemeinde deutscher Sprache, die auch gemeindliche Einrichtungen im Hause unterhält. Die arabischsprachige Schule zog 1964 in den benachbarten Neubau unter dem Namen Martin-Luther-Schule, wo sie bis 1998 bestand, als mangels ausreichender Anmeldungen geschlossen wurde.
English: The Provostry (German: Propstei) is a building on Rechōv Mūrīstān / Schāriʿ al-Māristān al-Ṣalāḥī (Hebr. רחוב מוריסטאן / Arab. شارع المارستان الصلاحي) in the of the in the. The building was built in 1910 according to plans by the architect Robert Leibnitz, who also planned the constructions of the Auguste Victoria Pilgrim's Hostel (now the homonymous hospital) and the Ascension Church on the northern summit of. The building initially served congregational purposes of the Protestant Congreation of German Language of Jerusalem, housed classrooms and was the seat of the German Association in Jerusalem (an expat association). From 1924 to 1939 the building housed German Protestant Institute for Ancient Studies of the Holy Land. From 1950 the Lutheran parish of Arabic language in Jerusalem used the building and also set up a school. Since 1954, the building has served as the provostry, the seat of the Provost (Propst), the expat pastor for the German-speaking congregation, which also maintains community facilities in the house. The Arabic-language school moved to the neighbouring new building in 1964 and was then named Martin Luther School, which existed until 1998 when it was closed due to insufficient registrations of new pupils.

Subcategories

This category has only the following subcategory.

Media in category "Provostry, Jerusalem"

The following 35 files are in this category, out of 35 total.