- They were first built by the Central Pacific Railroad (CP) in 1863, and served as maintenance facilities for the western terminus of the First Transcontinental Railroad.
- By 1877 the site was 50 acres; by 1922 it was 145 acres; and by the 1930s it was 200 acres, with over 90 buildings. Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) began leasing the CP in 1885. SP merged with the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) in 1997. The shops were closed in 1999.
- A portion of the Sacramento Shops site now houses the California State Railroad Museum, and other portions are the Sacramento Railyards brownfields redevelopment project, under construction as of 2014.
- Sources: HAER: Sacramento Shops, [Railyards Official Website http://www.railyards.com].
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► California State Railroad Museum (9 C, 64 F)
Media in category "Sacramento Shops"
The following 183 files are in this category, out of 183 total.