Category:Saint Éigneach's Well
This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. DG009-005----
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment Viewer – Database record.
English: Saint Éigneach's Well, also named St. Columbkille's Well, in the townland of Lenan is located at Mamore Gap at the place where, according to tradition, Saint Éigneach meditated. He was a local saint of West Inishowen. Éigneach is also written Egney or Éigne. To the site belongs beside the well a Lourdes Grotto and a statue of Padre Pio. This is a pilgrimage site since centuries, originally in June on the saint's feast day, then to August 15th, the feast of the Assumption. See Pádraig Ó Riain: A Dictionary of Irish Saints, ISBN 978-1-84682-318-3, p. 289; Brian Lacy: Archaeological Survey of County Donegal, ISBN 0-9508407-0-X, entry 1706 on p. 305; and the information panel at the site.
Media in category "Saint Éigneach's Well"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Holly well - Gap of Mamore.JPG 2,048 × 1,536; 894 KB
- Mamore Gap Cross with Crown of Thorns 2014 09 10.jpg 2,336 × 3,504; 6.57 MB
- Mamore Gap Grotto 2014 09 10.jpg 3,304 × 2,203; 5.93 MB
- Mamore Gap Saint Eigneach's Well 2014 09 10.jpg 3,504 × 2,336; 7.63 MB
- Mamore Gap Saint Eigneach's Well Close View 2014 09 10.jpg 3,504 × 2,336; 7.99 MB
- Mamore Gap Shrine 2014 09 10.jpg 3,504 × 2,336; 7.34 MB
- Mamore Gap Statue of Padre Pio 2014 09 10.jpg 2,296 × 3,444; 5.58 MB