Category:Saint James Parish, Jamaica
English: St James is a suburban parish, located on the north west end of the island of Jamaica. Its capital, Montego Bay, derived from the Spanish word Manteca (lard) because many wild hogs were found there from which they made lard. It was named publicly the second city of Jamaica, behind Kingston, in 1981. However, Montego Bay became city in 1980 through an act of the Jamaican Parliament. The parish is the birth place of The Right Excellent Samuel Sharpe (died 1833), one of Jamaica's Seven National Heroes.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Montego Bay (4 C, 43 F)
Media in category "Saint James Parish, Jamaica"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Hakewill, A Picturesque Tour of the Island of Jamaica, Plate 19.jpg 2,461 × 1,613; 894 KB
- Hakewill, A Picturesque Tour of the Island of Jamaica, Plate 20.jpg 2,471 × 1,613; 1.11 MB
- Rose Hall (Jamaica).jpg 3,006 × 2,196; 716 KB
- Saint James in Jamaica.svg 1,134 × 546; 134 KB