Schrödinger's Cat is a famous thought experiment in which a cat is placed in a box with a radioactive source and a bottle of poison. If the radioactive source decays (a random event), then the poison is released and the cat dies. If this is all sealed in a box, an outside observer cannot know whether the cat is alive or dead, and therefore the cat can be said to occupy both the "alive" state and the "dead" state. Once the box is opened, the cat's state "collapses" into one or the other, depending on whether the radioactive source decayed. This is an analogy to the behaviour of an electron - if unobserved, it is effectively in every possible state at once, as soon as it is observed, the wavefunction collapses. See the Wikipedia article for more information.
Media in category "Schrödinger's Cat"
The following 30 files are in this category, out of 30 total.
- ArbreSolutionsChat.png 53 KB
- Catexperiment.svg 54 KB
- Katze.jpg 33 KB
- Kvantumpolaniks.png 55 KB
- MWI Schrodingers cat.png 208 KB
- SchroCat.jpg 181 KB
- Schrodinger1.jpg 3.93 MB
- Schrodinger2.jpg 3.97 MB
- Schrodingers cat.svg 37 KB
- Schrodingers potato.JPG 15 KB
- Schrodingerscat.jpg 368 KB
- Schroedinger cat.jpg 6.16 MB
- Schroedingers cat film.svg 1.45 MB
- Schroedingerscat3.png 87 KB
- Schrödinger cat.png 92 KB
- Γάτα του Σρέντιγκερ.jpg 147 KB