Category:Seir Kieran Monastic Site
|This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. OF039-003004-
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment Viewer – Database record.
English: Seir Kieran, also named Sier Kieran, in Irish Saighir Chiaráin, is a monastic site in Clareen, County Offaly, founded in the 5th century by St. Ciaran, refounded as a priory of the Augustinian Canons c. 1170, and dissolved in 1568. This was the former see of the bishops of Ossory until c. 1052 when it was moved to Aghaboe. (See Gwynn and Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses Ireland, p. 194–195.) The remaining ruins include the base of a round tower, the base of a 9th-century high cross, some foundations of the priory, remainings of fortifications, a motte of the Anglo-Norman lords, and a small 19th-century church which was erected close to the site of the former church of the priory. Attached to the site are a holy whitethorn bush on which clothes are hung on March 5th in honor of St. Ciarán, and a holy well.
Media in category "Seir Kieran Monastic Site"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Digital Eye-2014-Seir Kieran.jpg 4,616 × 3,077; 2.07 MB
- Seir Kieran Fortification and Priory Wall 2010 09 09.jpg 3,354 × 2,212; 5.89 MB
- Seir Kieran Fortification and St. Ciaran's Church 2010 09 09.jpg 3,434 × 2,289; 5.97 MB
- Seir Kieran High Cross Base 2010 09 09.jpg 3,504 × 2,336; 7.28 MB
- Seir Kieran High Cross Base II 2010 09 09.jpg 3,504 × 2,336; 8.22 MB
- Seir Kieran Round Tower and Priory Wall 2010 09 09.jpg 3,504 × 1,912; 5.17 MB
- Seir Kieran St. Ciaran's Church 2010 09 09.jpg 3,183 × 2,183; 4.55 MB
- Seir Kieran St. Ciaran's Church SW 2010 09 09.jpg 3,504 × 2,336; 4.75 MB
- Seir Kieran St. Ciaran's Church, Priory Wall, and Round Tower 2010 09 09.jpg 3,285 × 2,025; 4.93 MB