Category:Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava (Manhattan)
The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava at 25 West 25th Street (through to 26 West 26th Street) between Broadway and Sixth Avenue in the NoMad neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1850-1855 as Trinity Chapel, designed by Richard Upjohn in Gothic Revival style. The Trinity Chapel School next door at 13 West 25th Street, now the Parish House, was built in 1860 and was designed by Wrey Mould, while the Clergy House at 16 West 26th Street was built in 1866 and was designed by Richard and Richard M. Upjohn.
In 1942 the complex was sold to become the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava. A bomb that exploded nearby in 1973 destroyed some of the stained-glass windows, which were replaced with Byzantine-style windows commissioned by the church. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.), Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.) and From Abyssinian to Zion (2004)) The cathedral is located within the Madison Square North Historic District. (NYLPC Madison Square North Historic District Designation Report)
Media in category "Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava (Manhattan)"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.