Category:Society for the Lying-In Hospital
The Society for the Lying-in Hospital building at 305 Second Avenue between East 17th and 18th Streets in the Stuyvesant Square neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, now the "Rutherford Place" apartments, was formerly a maternity hospital built in 1899-1902 and designed by R.H. Robertson in the Renaissance Revival style, with a Palladian crown. Swaddled babies decorate the spandrels of the building, which was taken over by Manhattan General Hospital in 1934. Manhattan General was bought by Beth Israel Medical Center in 1964, and the building was used as an alcohol and drug addiction treatment center. In 1983, the building was purchased by Winthrop D. Chamberlain and Bernet J. Lieberman for conversion into residential duplexes and medical office space, designed by Beyer Blinder Belle. In addition, the facade and lobby were restored. The building was added to the NRHP in 1983. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.), plaques on the building)
Media in category "Society for the Lying-In Hospital"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- Beth-israel-first.jpg 320 KB