Sophia (Σοφíα, Greek for "wisdom") is a central idea in Hellenistic philosophy and religion, Platonism, Gnosticism, Orthodox Christianity, Esoteric Christianity, as well as Christian mysticism. Sophiology is a philosophical concept regarding wisdom, as well as a theological concept regarding the wisdom of God.
The Sophia of Jesus Christ is one of many Gnostic tractates from the Nag Hammadi codices, discovered in Egypt in 1945. The title is somewhat coded, since although Sophia is Greek for wisdom, in a gnostic context, Sophia is the syzygy of Christ.
Sapiential literature: Wisdom came to earth, offered herself and her prophets and was refused. She prepared the way for jesus to come, joining herself to him as a syzygy or as the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove. She was with him throughout his life, and she returns to earth after his ascension into heaven as the inspiring presence of the Spirit among all people. In the day when the “house” of the earth is indeed uninhabited by her/their spirit, Sophia and Jesus will return in the persons of the apocalyptic couple and dismantle creation.
In Gnosticism: The transition from the immaterial to the material, from the noumenal to the sensible, is brought about by a flaw, or a passion, or a sin, in one of the Aeons. According to Basilides, it is a flaw in the last sonship; according to others the sin of the Great Archon, or Aeon-Creator, of the Universe; according to others it is the passion of the female Aeon Sophia, who emanates without her partner Aeon, resulting in the Demiurge (Greek Δημιουργός), a creature that should never have come into existence. This creature does not belong to the Pleroma (the totality of God's powers), and the One emanates two savior Aeons, Christ and the Holy Spirit, to save humanity from the Demiurge. Christ then took the form of the human Jesus, in order to be able to teach humanity how to achieve Gnosis. The ultimate end of all Gnosis is μετάνοια metanoia, or repentance, the undoing of the sin of material existence and the return to the Pleroma.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Saint Sophia (8 C, 5 F)
Media in category "Sophia (wisdom)"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- 14.25 Sophia (Wisdom) in the Celsus Library in Ephesus.JPG 2,048 × 3,072; 2.37 MB
- Ecclesia Gnostica Holy Sophia Statue.png 444 × 772; 606 KB
- Efez Celsus Library 3 RB.jpg 960 × 1,280; 583 KB
- Ephesus37.jpg 1,122 × 1,758; 1.52 MB
- Fürstenzell Klosterkirche - Fresko Himmelfahrt 3b Glaube.jpg 4,000 × 3,000; 5.66 MB
- Herrenchiemsee Kloster - Bibliothekssaal 3d Göttliche Weisheit.jpg 3,000 × 4,000; 3.81 MB
- Meister des Hildegardis-Codex 002.jpg 1,000 × 1,283; 137 KB
- MY IDOL AND GODDESS MOTHER SOPHIA.jpg 301 × 400; 21 KB
- Sophia design.jpg 600 × 507; 54 KB
- Sophia-Ephesus.jpg 685 × 1,024; 457 KB