Category:St. John's Episcopal Church (Johnstown, New York)
English: St. John's Episcopal Church is a historic Episcopal church at 1 North Market Street in Johnstown, New York. It was built in 1837 in the Gothic Revival style, replacing a previous stone church on the site, which burned down the previous year. The first church was located at the southwest corner of what is now the Johnstown Colonial Cemetery. It was built c.1760 at the urging of Sir William Johnson, who provided funding for the project. The congregation outgrew this church and a new one began to be built in 1771 on the current site. After tye American Revolutionary War, the church was confiscated as being the property of Sir William's son, John, who was a Loyalist, and was used by Presbyterians and Lutherans until 1793 when the state awared title to the Presbyterians, with the allowance that Episcopalians and Lutherns could use it 8 Sundays a year. In 1796, the Episcopalians appealed to the legislature, and was awarded ownership of the stone church in 1798. The current building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. (Sources: , )
Media in category "St. John's Episcopal Church (Johnstown, New York)"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- 1 Church Street, Johnstown.jpg 4,646 × 3,521; 2.73 MB
- St. John's Episcopal Church from north, Johnstown.jpg 3,122 × 4,069; 1.65 MB
- St. John's Episcopal Church from south, Johnstown.jpg 2,994 × 3,755; 1.78 MB
- St. John's Episcopal Church Johnstown NY Dec 07.jpg 768 × 1,024; 173 KB