Category:Stern Brothers' Dry Goods Store Building (23rd Street)
32-46 West 23rd Street between Fifth Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) in the Flatiron District, Manhattan, New York City, was built as the Stern Brothers' Dry Goods Store, which moved to this location from Sixth Avenue. The building was constructed in five stages:
- 1878: 32-36 West 23rd Street, designed by Henry Fernbach
- 1878: 23 West 22nd Street (rear), designed by Henry Fernbach, built as an extension
- 1880: 25-27 West 22nd Street (rear), designed by Henry Fernbach, an additional extension
- 1886: 29-35 West 22nd Street (rear), designed by Hugo Kafka, following Fernbach's design
- 1892: 40-46 EWest 23rd Street, plus alterations and additions to the original building, designed by William Schickel
and was altered in 1986 by Rothzeid, Kaiserman, Thompson & Bee. Its current retail occupant is Home Depot. The Stern Brothers also commissioned a store and loft building next door, at 28-30 East 22nd Street, built in 1910-11 as an annex. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.), NYCLPC Ladies' Mile Histroic District Designation Report vol. 2)
Media in category "Stern Brothers' Dry Goods Store Building (23rd Street)"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.