Category:Success (ship, 1840)
- Type: Fullrigged ship
- Design by:
- Order date:
- Built by: Natmoo, Tenasserim, Burma
- Yard No:
- Material: Wood, built of teak
- Keel laid:
- Launch date:
- Date of completion: 1840
- Length over all: 35.8 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: 8.1 m
- Draught: 6.9 m
- GRT: 621
- Sail area:
- Speed: kn
- 1840 Named: SUCCESS for Cockerell & Co., Calcutta. Employed in the Indian country trade. Flag: India
- 1842 Sold to Frederick Mangus & Co., London. A female bust had taken the place of the original scroll figurehead. Employed in the Australian emmigrant [sic] trade.
- 1845 Sold to Wm. Phillips & Wm. H. Tiplady, London.
- 1852 The crew subsequently deserted her for the goldfields while at anchor in Corio Bay, Geelong.
- 1852 Sold to the Victorian State Government, Melbourne, and her certificate of registry cancelled. Hulked and fitted with cells and used as a temporary gaol while the shore facilities were being built.
- 1857 Used as a reformatory ship for seamen.
- 1885 Sank in the Sydney harbour.
- 1891 Raised and sold to a syndicate which fitted out the ship as a convict hulk. Toured the Australian coast exhibiting her as the "convict ship".
- 1912 Re-rigged as a barquentine at the Glasson Dock. Sailed from Liverpool under command of Captain D.H. Smith to Boston, MA
- 1918 Fitted out as a merchant ship and equipped with an oil engine. Sank off Carrollton due to ice damage.
- 04.07.1946 Burned at Lake Erie Cove, Cleveland, OH, while being dismantled for her teak.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Success (ship) (2 F)
Media in category "Success (ship, 1840)"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Convict exhibition ship HMS SUCCESS decked with flags at Circular Quay (7505325640).jpg 1,038 × 1,011; 418 KB
- Popular electricity magazine in plain English (1913) (14784916603).jpg 1,252 × 1,144; 296 KB
- StateLibQld 1 111796 Success (ship).jpg 1,000 × 645; 42 KB
- StateLibQld 1 168911 Success (ship).jpg 1,000 × 742; 51 KB
- StateLibQld 1 170507 Success (ship).jpg 1,000 × 685; 91 KB
- StateLibQld 1 74739 Success (ship).jpg 760 × 1,000; 77 KB
- StateLibQld 1 91484 Success (ship).jpg 1,000 × 827; 71 KB
- Success prison hulk.jpg 600 × 810; 44 KB
- Success prison ship LOC ggbain 12287u.jpg 5,269 × 3,746; 2.97 MB