Category:Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama
English: HH Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Llhamo Döndrub on 6 July 1935 in Amdo) is the fourteenth and current Dalai Lama. He is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, as the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and as exiled leader of the Tibetan government in Dharamsala, India.
- "The Institution of the Dalai Lama" by R. N. Rahul Sheel in The Tibet Journal, Vol. XIV No. 3. Autumn 1989, pp. 19-32 says on pp. 31-32, n. 1: "The word Dalai is Mongolian for "ocean", used mainly by the Chinese, the Mongols, and foreigners. Rgya mtsho, the corresponding Tibetan word, always has formed the last part of the religious name of the Dalai Lama since Dalai Lama II [sic – should read Dalai Lama III]. The expression Lama (Bla ma) means the "superior one". Western usage has taken it to mean the "priest" of the Buddhism of Tibet. The term Dalai Lama, therefore, means the Lama whose wisdom is as deep, as vast and as embracing as the ocean."
spiritual leader of Tibet
|Date of birth||6 July 1935|
|Country of citizenship|
This category has the following 21 subcategories, out of 21 total.
- ► Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama in art (5 C, 45 F)
- ► Family of the 14th Dalai Lama (9 C, 2 F)
- ► Hands of Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama (1 C, 38 F)
- ► Mind and Life Institute (10 F)
- ► Places associated with Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama (2 C, 2 F)
- ► Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama with politicians (1 C, 22 F)
Pages in category "Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- 76th Birthday Celebration of His Holiness the Dalai Lama (Japan).jpg 1,536 × 1,152; 506 KB
- Danses sacrées du Tibet (Parc oriental de Maulévrier) (7297987602).jpg 1,365 × 1,024; 1.05 MB
- Gyuto Tantric University.jpg 1,600 × 1,200; 424 KB
- Konchog Tharchin Rinpoche.JPG 2,816 × 2,112; 1.15 MB
- TIB-drepung-phodrang.jpg 1,329 × 893; 513 KB
- Tibetan mong tangka.jpg 2,848 × 2,136; 1.42 MB
- Tibetan mongk tangka.rev.jpg 2,848 × 2,136; 1.43 MB
- Tibetan Pavilion @ Auroville6.jpg 2,560 × 1,920; 1.64 MB
- Zigeunermühle 2015 xy1.JPG 4,000 × 3,000; 4.15 MB