Category:Union Temple of Brooklyn
The Union Temple of Brooklyn is a Reform synagogue located at 17 Eastern Parkway between Underhill Avenue and Plaza Street East in the Prospect Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City, across the street from the Brooklyn Public Library, the Brooklyn Museum, and the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. It is the result of the merger of two nineteenth century congregations, K. K. Beth Elohim and Temple Israel. The building was designed by Arnold Brunner in the Classical Revival style and completed in 1929 as the community house for a planned temple next door, which was never built because of the Great Depression; the 11-story building has been used for the congregation's worship since, except on High Holy Days, when the Brooklyn Academy of Music was utilized. In 1942, a theater in the building was remodeled to be a sanctuary.