Category:University Heights Bridge
English: The University Heights Bridge crosses the Harlem River, connecting West 207th Street in the Inwood neighborhood of Manhattan to West Fordham Road in the University Heights section of the Bronx. The steel-truss revolving swing bridge is operated and maintained by the New York City Department of Transportation and carries two lanes of traffic in each direction, along with a sidewalk with four shelters with cast-iron piers on the south side of the bridge. The bridge has three masonry piers, and the approach spans are made of steel. The bridge has a "graceful" profile with "ornate" iron railings and two stone pavilions. The original was designed by consulting engineer William H. Burr with Alfred Pancoast Boller, who was particularly responsible for its aesthetics, and Paul W. Birdsall, and was constructed in 1893-95 as the Harlem Ship Canal Bridge between Upper Manhattan and Marble Hill. It was relocated in 1905-08 under the supervision of chief engineer Othniel F. Nichols. The current, wider bridge was built in 1989-92, utilizing some of the superstructure latticework of the original. (Sources: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.) and AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.))
Media in category "University Heights Bridge"
The following 51 files are in this category, out of 51 total.