Category:Whitney Museum of American Art (original building)
The three former row houses at 8-12 West 8th Street (built in 1838) between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, were converted in 1931 by Auguste L. Noel of Noel & Miller into the first home of the Whitney Museum of American Art, which sculptor Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney had established in 1929, after the Metropolitan Museum of Art rejected the donation of her extensive collection of contemporary and avant-garde artworks. (In 1914, Whitney had started the Whitney Studio at 8 West 8th Street, just behind her own studio on MacDougal Alley.) The museum was located here until 1954, when it moved uptown. The building is currently, along with 14 West 8th Street (built in 1900), the New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculture, and is located within the Greenwich Village Historic District. (Source: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.))
building in Manhattan, New York, United States
|Location||Manhattan, New York City, New York|
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category "Whitney Museum of American Art (original building)"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- The Breuer Building windows.jpg 3,396 × 2,264; 3.44 MB
- Whitney Museum - Foster-Walker 1978 proposal.png 953 × 1,767; 2.3 MB
- Whitney Museum - Graves 1985 proposal.png 2,591 × 1,874; 7.26 MB
- Whitney Museum - Graves 1987 proposal.png 2,375 × 1,810; 2.26 MB
- Whitney Museum - Graves 1988 proposal.png 2,371 × 1,658; 5.64 MB
- Whitney Museum of American Art original 0000 door.jpg 289 × 348; 101 KB
- Whitney Museum of American Art original 0012 staircase.jpg 268 × 381; 90 KB
- Whitney Museum of American Art original 0014 gallery.jpg 417 × 269; 91 KB
- Whitney Museum of American Art original 0018 paintings.jpg 413 × 269; 89 KB