Category talk:Images from the National Archives and Records Administration
I always have to look this up: The NARA uses the date format mm/dd/yyyy. This middle endian form is used only in the U.S. and is very uncommon for europeans (ok, I cant speak for others, it is at least for me :) ). --Martin H. (talk) 12:28, 3 December 2009 (UTC)
I believe that the category should be renamed images from NARA's ARC system. As an employee of the National Archives, I can attest that we have many, many images that are not part of ARC, and therefore this tag is incomplete. Also, the NARA-Image tag should have a brother, one to identify that it is a NARA image and public domain, but NOT a digital copy in ARC. My office receives many requests a week for images that are in the Wikimedia realm, identified as being held by NARA, but have no citation, therefore requiring a lengthy search. Part of the mission of a commons should be proper documentation, correct?
- Support Makes total sense to me. - PKM (talk) 00:27, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- Support Any help from those who know how these systems are organized will definitely help all of us in finding images.Mercurywoodrose (talk) 05:04, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Support Comment Most categories are template generated and connot be moved by a bot. --Foroa (talk) 17:47, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, I'm the Wikipedian in Residence at NARA. I'm not sure if you all noticed that the comment you're responding to is over a year old, but circumstances have changed much since then. For one thing, ARC is being phased out in favor of a revamped online catalog, so that name would be outdated. More to the point, though, we're always going to have images from the National Archives and Records Administration, so we'll always need this top-level category. Instead of renaming this, we've added a function in the template that adds this category to images which detects if the unique identifier parameter has been left out and adds the image to Category:National Archives and Records Administration media without an ARC Identifier. I think this is the best soltion. Dominic (talk) 14:31, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Rather than to rename it, create a new category to which this one would be a subcategory. Create Videos and Songs as subcategories of Medias. Yann (talk) 08:16, 12 February 2012 (UTC)