Category talk:Orientation tables
Return to "Orientation tables" page.
- There is also "panoramic table" but less used I could see. Indeed in en:wiki there are more "orientation table" but among the 8 pages I found "orientation table", 6 are talking about French locations, so that maybe some edits of these pages could have been made by French users (I'll check to verify that). Moreover, in Commons "viewpoint indicator" is used on geograph.org.uk original descriptions (uploaded description with the picture). Before founding these pictures, and viewing that only fr:wiki has an article about orientation tables, I thought that it was a specific French culture practice to build these tables on sighseeing points. But we would need some opinions from English mothertongue users to be really sure
- Agree. When looking here, one cannot say that orientation table is unknown in the UK. We should have equally the translation in several languages before taking a decision. C'est fatiguant tout ça ;). --Foroa (talk) 15:12, 7 July 2011 (UTC)
- "... maybe some edits of these pages could have been made by French users ...": How the French can influence the evolution of the English language ... --Foroa (talk) 15:14, 7 July 2011 (UTC)
- In dutch: "orientatietafels", I came upon a file today, I "anglicised" the word and found straight away this category. --Havang(nl) (talk) 19:49, 29 July 2011 (UTC)
- Just found this, and the Category:Toposcopes; I'd suggest a merger into the latter unless there is some important difference. Wikipedia has an article for Toposcopes, but not this category.
Rodhullandemu (talk) 19:42, 15 January 2014 (UTC)