The Old postcards category is marked as being moved to Category:Postcards. It appears that other Category:Old postcards xxxx items are being depreciated as well.
In particular, Category:Old postcards of the United States items are being recategorized as Category:Postcards of <state> and Category:<State> in the <decade>. e.g. Category:Postcards of New York and Category:New York in the 1900s.
I just wanted to make this direction explicit. Comments? Parkerdr 00:19, 8 January 2008 (UTC)
- I lean towards phasing out the "Old postcards" categories, for two reasons: 1)The vast majority of postcards on Commons will be old, as recent ones are usually copyrighted. 2)"Old" is a rather vague distinction which I don't recall seeing defined for use in categorizing postcards here.
- The other points I think are part of general efforts to put media in more specific categories by place and by era, not specifically postcard related.
- Postcards at present seem mainly to be categorized by country plus a few subject categories. Does anyone think it would be useful to start subcategorizing postcards in other ways (type of printing, era, etc), and if so what would suggested sub-categories be? -- Infrogmation 00:52, 8 January 2008 (UTC)
- I think of these postcards as a snapshot of the past and the subjects are more interesting than the fact that it's a postcard. I'm in favor of the Category:Postcards of <state> and Category:<State> in the <decade> tagging, for the cards showin landscapes, buildings, etc. Parkerdr 14:25, 9 January 2008 (UTC)
I'm not sure this has arisen before, but I and another editor are in discussion about whether "Postcards of country X" should depict "country X" or be produced in "country X". It would seem logical to me that "Postcards of X" should depict X in the same way that "Paintings of X" depict X. If we wanted to make the distinction, "Postcards from Y" would presumably be manufactured in Y or be sent from Y. Any ideas? Rodhullandemu (talk) 22:25, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
- That seems indeed logical. Regards, Yann (talk) 22:57, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
- The solution should be two category sets: Postcards of country X and Country X on postcards. This is already resolved in other areas of collecting and collectibles, for example:
- Category:Stamps by country and Category:Countries on stamps,
- Category:Postal cards by country and Category:Countries on postal cards,
- Category:Postal covers by country and Category:Countries on covers,
- Category:Coins by country and Category:Countries on coins.
- So, I doubt there is a need to invent a new wheel here. --Michael Romanov (talk) 09:06, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
Almost no one cares where a postcard was produced. Many people care what it depicts. Therefore, if we are going to cover the former at all (I wouldn't bother, but can't stop someone else), the simple Postcards of X should mean depicting X; the other category should be something like Postcards published in X or maybe Postcards manufactured in X. - Jmabel ! talk 13:29, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
And the stamps thing is not analogous: it is about country of issue (which many people care about), not country of manufacture. If a stamp "from Zanzibar" was actually printed in the UK, we don't even have a category for the latter fact (and if we did, few would care). - Jmabel ! talk 13:32, 27 July 2015 (UTC)