Category talk:Ristesson History
Please see the new introduction to this category. It is now also classified as a source category, after email advice from Commons. Do not change the categories or make this hidden. Ristesson is not in business of any kind. Does not sell images or promote its activities in any way. There is no advertisement involved. I am about to upload about 100 new images (color photos from 2007-2009) and am preparing these categories. That includes adjusting all the images in this category, which I need to find readily while doing this work. The category is intended to help users find historical images.
And Kuiper: You are being disruptive again. Do not revert edits withoit discussion, without even a summary comment! Please stop stalking me! This is my final warning prior to taking this to arbitration and recommending you be blocked. EmilEikS (talk) 20:05, 17 July 2009 (UTC)
- This is just EmilEikS's user category, see COM:USER#Categories. But anyway, also Category:Images from the German Federal Archive is a hidden category. /Pieter Kuiper (talk) 20:19, 17 July 2009 (UTC)
- I agree that this should be a hidden category. Images in this category are only related by their source, which is in no way descriptive of the image content (just like a user category or a camera category, which should be hidden too). –Tryphon☂ 16:06, 2 August 2009 (UTC)
- I protected in the state it was when I saw the note about it, I don't edit and protect because that we could make a COI please talk about it here, when all parties agree it can be unprotected. Huib talk 18:21, 2 August 2009 (UTC)
- It's hidden like other categories in Category:Image sources, because they are considered "non-topical" categories, giving information about where the files came from instead of what they are about. However "hidden" actually means very little in Commons. I think the only effect by default is that the hidden categories are listed separately at the bottom of a file. It is possible for logged-in users to actually hide the categories, if they uncheck "Show hidden categories" in the Appearance Preferences, and then they won't appear at the bottom of files, but I'm not sure why anybody would do that. --ghouston (talk) 23:02, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
- Thank you! Ristesson History is a carefully put-together collection of images topical to history (as listed at the top of the page), that's why I can't quite understand it's being considered just a source category. I then assume that just a source category could contain just about any ol' kinda pictures, with no topical sorting. ? --SergeWoodzing (talk) 13:53, 6 July 2015 (UTC)