Open main menu

Wikimedia Commons β

Category talk:Truss bridges

I am not a civil engineer — is a "Truss bridge" the same as a "Through truss bridge" (in German probably "Trägerbrücke" or "Durchlaufträgerbrücke", respectively)? If so, these two categories should be united, or should they not? — Nol Aders 02:18, 16 November 2005 (UTC)

It's a long time since you posted this query which it seems remains unanswered. A 'through truss bridge' is one (very common) form of a 'truss bridge. The traffic passes 'through' the truss, usually on decking built at the level of the lowest horizontal member of the truss. However, if the whole thing is imagined to be turned upside down, the traffic an now run along the top of the truss, the entire structure being now below the decking (apart from any protective parapet of railings). If you check around W/media and W/pedia you will find examples. (I trained as a civil engineer).Flying Stag (talk) 15:59, 26 December 2010 (UTC)

Return to "Truss bridges" page.