Commons:Copyright rules by territory/Angola
Copyright rules: Angola|
|Standard||Life + 70 years|
|Photograph||Life + 45 years|
|Anonymous||Publish + 70 years|
|Collective||Publish + 70 years|
|Applied art||Life + 45 years|
|ISO 3166-1 alpha-3||AGO|
|WTO member||23 November 1996|
|URAA restoration date||23 November 1996|
This page provides an overview of copyright rules of Angola relevant to uploading works into Wikimedia Commons. Note that any work originating in Angola must be in the public domain, or available under a free license, in both Angola and the United States before it can be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. If there is any doubt about the copyright status of a work from Angola, refer to the relevant laws for clarification.
As of 2018 the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), an agency of the United Nations, listed Law No. 4/90 of March 10, 1990, on Author's Rights as the main copyright law enacted by the legislature of Angola. WIPO holds the text of this law in their WIPO Lex database.
In 2014, the Angolan National Assembly passed Law n.º 15/14, de 31 de julho - Lei dos Direitos de Autor e Direitos Conexos, which replaced the previous 1990 copyright law. The new law came into effect by Presidential Decree 125/17 on 12 June 2017.
- Copyright in Angola lasts for the life of the author + 70 years.[15/2014 Art.72.1]
- Anonymous and collaborative works are protected for 70 years after being published.[15/2014 Art.73.1]
- Copyright for photographs and applied arts lasts for the life of the author + 45 years.[15/2014 Art.73.2]
- Unpublished works get 15 years of additional protection.[15/2014 Art.76]
- Copyright of anonymous works belongs to who publishes the work, at least until the original author is found.[15/2014 Art.9]
Types of protection
- Photographic works are protected when organized in such a way that transmits a journalistic, artistic or aesthetic message, showing originality on its creation.[15/2014 Art.10]
- Architecture erected in Angola is protected, along with any works of art included in the buildings.[15/2014 Art.2] The author of a work of architecture, urbanism or design is the creator of its global conception, as well as the project.[15/2014 Art.15]
- Traditional learning and use are treated the same as literary, artistic and scientific works.[15/2014 Art.2]
- Works are protected by the mere fact of being created, no matter what may be its expression, and independently of its content, value, destiny and divulgation to the public.[15/2014 Art.2]
See also: Commons:Currency
Not OK No exception for currency in the Angolan copyright law.
Freedom of panorama
See also: Commons:Freedom of panorama
OK. Article 51.º 1.c) of Lei n.º 15/14 de 31 de Julho (Angola Copyright Law) states that reproduction of works permanently on display at public locations is allowed without the author's authorization, given that the title and name of the author of the work are stated, and that their genuinity and integrity is respected.[15/2014 Art.51.1]
- Angola Copyright and Related Rights (Neighboring Rights). WIPO: World Intellectual Property Organization (2018). Retrieved on 2018-11-03.
- Law No. 4/90 of March 10, 1990, on Author's Rights. Angola (1900). Retrieved on 2018-11-03.
Law on Authors' Rights (No. 4/90 of March 10 1990) (in English) (1990). Retrieved on 2018-12-04.
- Lei n.º 15/14 de 31 de Julho (Angola Copyright Law).