For real-time chat with other Wikimedians, there are several Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channels, located on the freenode network (irc.freenode.net).
- #wikimedia-commons webchat for discussions about Commons.
- #cvn-commons webchat to catch possible vandalism
- #cvn-commons-uploads webchat to monitor image uploads.
- #wikimedia-commons-poty webchat Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year Contest.
- #wikimedia-commons-admin webchat is the channel for administrators [No idling]
- #wikimedia-commons-lr webchat is the channel for license reviewer assistance/discussion
- #wikimedia-commons-tech webchat For technical related discussions. Bot is reporting recent changes on commons related bugs.
See also m:IRC/Channels (main list)
For users of Mozilla Firefox and related programs, a convenient extension called ChatZilla exists (it is also a part of SeaMonkey). Separate IRC software such as KVirc, Pidgin, XChat or Colloquy (Mac) are also popular. Some web-based interfaces also exist, e.g. webchat.freenode.net.