Commons:Photo challenge/2019 - February - Lakes
2019 – February – Lakes, meres and pondsEdit
The new challenge features Lakes, meres and ponds.
Ideally, each submission should contain a summary description of the subject in the file information, including the location of the subject, and relevant categories should be added to the files to enable other Commons users to find them and use them. Please take care not to violate copyright in respect of non-free creative works, and observe our educational project scope and the personality rights of identifiable people, or your files may be subject to deletion.
The challenge will remain open for submissions throughout February UTC.
Checklist for this theme:
- Photographs must be the work of the nominator.
- Photographs must be newly uploaded to Commons during the challenge submission period i.e. February 2019 UTC (but may have been taken earlier).
- Submissions must be added to the top of the Entries section below.
- Please do not nominate lots of similar photos; instead choose just your best and most varied images.
Add your entry between the <gallery> tags as indicated. Gallery entries are placed each on a new line, and consist of the filename, a vertical bar |, and a description. For example:
Electric steam iron.jpg|An electric steam iron
For help on the syntax of entries in a gallery see Help:Gallery tag. Please do not add square brackets [[ ]] or include a thumb parameter or the full URL. The File: prefix is not required, but harmless.
- Restriction: A maximum of four entries can be submitted per photographer.
This challenge has already ended. ()
A man-made pond created after a dam was constructed on the adjacent Biei River, the Blue Pond is thought to derive its startling blue color from aluminium hydroxide leached out of the cliff side at nearby Shirahige Falls coupled with the whitening effect of sulphur and other minerals on the rocks at the bottom of the pond. The partially submerged Japanese larch and silver birch trees add to the dramatic effect.