- 1 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 1.1 When will it start?
- 1.2 Which pictures are eligible for the contest?
- 1.3 Will my vote from beta-testing be counted, if I am eligible?
- 1.4 Am I allowed to vote after the voting-period is over?
- 1.5 Where is the help for the enhanced voting tool?
- 1.6 The 'My POTY' control panel tells me I am ineligible but I know that I am eligible.
- 1.7 What do statistics show?
- 1.8 How can I vote manually?
- 1.9 Who are running the contest?
- 2 Ask a question
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
When will it start?
- Round 1 will begin on and end on
- Round 2 will begin on and end on
Which pictures are eligible for the contest?
All pictures selected and remaining as Featured pictures during 2014 are eligible for Round 1. The most popular images from Round 1 will continue to Round 2.
Will my vote from beta-testing be counted, if I am eligible?
Yes, as long as the vote is valid (meaning we can identify the picture you have voted for, the picture was not added to the gallery by a mistake or vandalism and no error occurred). You can check all your votes in your contributions or by clicking the 'My POTY' control panel in the top right corner on a gallery page.
Am I allowed to vote after the voting-period is over?
Your vote can't be counted if you voted after the voting period is over. Voting pages are frozen after the voting period ends. We won't punish voting after the voting period with a block or other administrative action, but your vote may be reversed.
Where is the help for the enhanced voting tool?
The 'My POTY' control panel tells me I am ineligible but I know that I am eligible.
There are several steps you can take if this the case.
- First, make sure that your Wikimedia Commons and your home wiki accounts are linked to each other. Click here to link your accounts »
- Click on the 'My POTY' control panel in the top right corner of any gallery page. In the popup that appear, click the "Check again" button in the eligibility-section of My POTY.
- If this does not work, click on the 'Remove' button in 'My POTY' and reload the page.
|Bypass your cache — Simple instructions|
|In most Windows and Linux browsers:
In Apple Safari:
In Chrome for Mac:
In Firefox for Mac:
What do statistics show?
They are provided to show trends but are not necessarily correct. Invalid candidates and votes are included. Use them with care, since they update about twice a day, so voting for a file will not immediately change them.
How can I vote manually?
- Be sure you are eligible to vote, and are logged in to Wikimedia Commons. It may be a good idea to have unified your Wikimedia accounts.
- On the Picture of the Year page click Vote now ».
- Click on a category.
- Click on the Info button below and to the right of the image you want to vote for.
- Click on the Votelist link in the tiny popup.
- Click edit on the Votes section
- Add your user name in the same format as other users did before you. For example:
- Click Save page.
If you don't do it correctly, you will receive a message after attempting to save. It will tell you how to vote correctly.
Due to vote volume, we cannot provide in-depth technical support, but try looking in your browser's settings and menus or searching online for the answer to your question.
Who are running the contest?
Have a look at the Committee page, here.
Ask a question
If you couldn't find the answer to your question above,