Commons:Requests for comment/Assign translationadmin-right to admins< Commons:Requests for comment
Assign translationadmin-right to adminsEdit
The Translate-Extension is active on Wikimedia Commons and therefore a new user group right was created. Currently the sysop group (=regular administrators) does not have the translationadmin group rights. It was proposed to let admins assign this right themselves in future. However it would be straightforward to assign this right to the sysop group per default.
What is a translation admin?Edit
A translation administrator (aka translationadmin) can mark pages for translation so translators can use the translate interface (aka TUX [Translation User Experience]) for translation, can aggregate these translatable pages to groups and even moving translatable pages without leaving a redirect. A translation admin should be familiar with the best practices about how-to-mark a page for translation and should understand that volunteers spend a large amount of time doing translations so they must not be lost. Only users who are regular administrators (sysop) and have the page translation right can delete translatable pages.
- Administrators without translation admin right cannot delete translated pages, they even can't move them.
- The translate extension suffers from a bunch of bugs (software issues), for example:
|“||Admins without the translate right cannot delete pages that have been tagged as translatable. I just went to delete the gallery page Kruistochten which was recently created nonsense. I got the message:
The page had the <translate> tag on it, put there by a contributor with two contributions, both nonsense. I removed the tag, and then blanked the page, but was still unable to delete it. Unless all Admins have this right, vandals need to just put the <translate> tag on a page to force its deletion by only the select group..
Issues and responsesEdit
- When assigning the to the sysop group, users and translators would have no clue who to ask for translation assistance among the 273 admins.
- Even if admins are marked as translate admins, they don't have to be necessarily active. A glad look at the page translation log will answer all these questions.
- It would make sysops feel they can just use the tool as they wish, while they have to at least read page translation docs and follow some consensus.
- Language engineer and Wikimedian, Niklas Laxström would be cautious about giving 'pagetranslation' right to all sysops.
- That discussion was started too early
- If administrators are blocked in their actions by the translate extension, the discussion can't be stared early enough. There are only 4-6 active translation administrators.