Commons:Welcome, Flickr users
This page is to introduce users of Flickr to Wikimedia Commons, and encourage them to use open content licenses to support our mission.
Wikimedia Commons (or "Commons") is a media repository under the umbrella of the Wikimedia Foundation, who also run Wikipedia. Commons hosts and organises media content (such as images) primarily for the benefit of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. There is significant overlap between Commons and Flickr, but Commons is not a free web host and it is not a personal media host like Flickr is. Commons:Project scope explains what content is appropriate for Commons.
Commons only allows media released under free licenses. Of the licenses Flickr offers, Commons only accepts the following:
- CC-BY (Creative Commons Attribution)
- CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike)
- CC-0 (Creative Commons - No rights reserved)
- Some PD (Public Domain) and "no known copyright restrictions" works
Specifically, licenses with non-commercial (NC) or non-derivative (ND) requirements are NOT considered 'free licenses'.
The page Flickr files explains in more detail.
Why should you consider helping Wikimedia?Edit
What can you do to help Wikimedia?Edit
- Commons talk:Licensing/Explaining why Derivative Work and Commercial Use must be allowed
- User:FlickrLickr a collaborative project to harvest the best free-licensed images from Flickr
- Commons:Flickr files outlines the review process that currently takes place of Flickr images on Commons
- mw:Extension:ImportFreeImages an extension that allows wikis to easily import free-licensed images from Flickr into their wiki (not in use at the Commons)
- Category:Commons. Flickr - various Flickr-related resources.
- Wikimedia Commons group
- How to change your default license
- How to change the license of a single photo (PDF screenshot guide)