Commons:Wiki Loves Love 2019/FAQ
What is Wiki Loves Love?Edit
- Wiki Loves Love 2019 (WLL) is an international photo contest which aims at documenting love testimonials through human cultural diversity. From monuments to ceremonies, from miscellaneous objects used as symbol of love to tender gesture, let's show to the world how mankind express love everywhere and in so many ways.
- A first edition was conducted in 2016, by Psychoslave as a part of side project of Wikipedia 15 in Strasbourg. It was smaller in thematic scope, more geographically targeted, and acted as a pilot project on a regional level.
- The Contest is to be held from 1 February - 28 February 2019
- The project will be run on an international level. However, some specific actions (promotional events, communication etc.) will be held in some countries with participating affiliates in their regions.
What happens to the photos or media after they are uploaded?Edit
- All images or media that are used on Wikipedia are uploaded to a website called Commons. This is a large and wonderful database of images, audio, and video files. All those media files are published under free licences – this means that they are free to be re-used by anyone as long as they say who authored the photograph or media and keep them free (under the same licence). For more information on Wikimedia Commons' licence policy, read here.
Who's behind it?Edit
- Wiki Loves Love is organized by the Wikimedia community with the help from (whenever applicable) their local Wikimedia chapters or user groups. It will be funded by the Wikimedia Foundation and local partners in individual countries.
How do I get involved?Edit
- It's really simple and easy, and fun! You may participate in two main ways
- You can participate to the contest itself! Grab your camera (or any relevant device) and shoot pictures or a video clip or a sound file. [] !
- Be part of a local event! In this case, please check out Local events. If you want to organise your own events (please do!), then check out the Organizers' FAQ
You can also help by making the photo contest Wiki Loves Love more accessible and available to more people in the world by providing translations in your language. To help, go to Commons:Wiki Loves Love 2019/Translations.
What are the technical requirements for the pictures?Edit
- There aren't any general technical requirements for the pictures. All self-taken photos that fulfilled the other basic rules and fit within the Wikimedia Commons scope will be accepted into the contest. The main goal of Wiki Loves Love is to collect as many pictures that can be used on Wikipedia as possible. Quality pictures are essential to the success of your entry and the competition. For tips and tricks on how to take a good quality image for Commons, take a look at these guidelines:
- Tutorial in English about how to take pictures: How to take pictures for Wikimedia Commons
- Images guidelines
- File formats for image, video and sound, to be uploaded on Commons
- Atelier photographique, in French: Atelier photographique
What software will be used to upload pictures?Edit
- We will be using the UploadWizard simplified by a special Wiki Loves Love overlay.
- Pictures can be uploaded using other tools (e.g. Commonist, but as this requires further knowledge of wiki markup and Wikimedia Commons itself).
- To upload images, please use this link
How should I tag the images?Edit
Where will special activities take place?Edit
- Affiliates that would like to host events to present Wikimedia Commons, and organise photo hunt parties or mass-upload sessions events can list themselves here.
- Click here to get more information and in contact with the local organisers.
How can I contact you?Edit
- Please drop a message on the talk page: Commons:Wiki Loves Love/Help desk.
- Contact us at our channels:
- There will be 14 winning pictures!
The small print
- The organizers of the Wiki Loves Love competition reserve the right to modify these rules or to cancel the contest at their sole discretion, even after it has started. The organizers accept no responsibility for the provision by the sponsors of any prizes, nor of any liability whatsoever in respect of this contest. Neither the rules nor anything on these pages amount to an offer to create legally binding relations with any of the organizers. Members of the jury and continental organizers are not eligible to receive any award (although they are otherwise welcome to contribute images).
Some Examples of images from previous editionEdit
Attribution: Commons:Wiki Loves Africa 2016/FAQ