Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments/Help desk< Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments(Redirected from Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2013/Communication)
Hi. I am Dheeraj Bhushan from India, can I submit a black n whit photograph.Edit
184.108.40.206 21:18, 23 September 2016 (UTC)
All photos must be licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.Edit
- The license is just a formal way telling your picture can be used freely as long as your name is mentioned. You don't need to attain it, when you make the pictures yourself you yourself can decide the license applies to your pictures. You simply do that by uploading the via forms. Akoopal (talk) 17:55, 25 September 2016 (UTC)
confirm submit about photoEdit
hii..how I know my photo submit in competition ?
hii i have uploaded many photos but my name is not in the leaderboard list.what happened?anything wrong.. Please help me
- Gsuruchi06, the leaderboard is usually updated daily. I see your username on it now: https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikiloves/monuments/2016/India --LilyOfTheWest (talk) 12:58, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
How to add ASI number?Edit
The title "Wiki Loves Monuments" is misleading ...Edit
... and encourages readers to equate "Wiki" with "Wikipedia". This leads to misunderstandings for new users, as encountered by those who help at the Help Desk and the Teahouse. For example this one, where it appears that a new user is planning to host unsuitable content on Wikipedia because he has been advised to use "Wiki". Could the use of all such "Wiki loves" titles be discouraged? Maproom (talk) 18:00, 25 September 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Maproom,
- This issue has been brought up a few years ago as well, and various names were seriously considered at the time. However, it was chosen not to do so, in part because of the similarity with other photo contests such as Wiki Loves Art (at the time), Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Africa (nowadays). A more compelling argument for you might be: You say it equates to Wikipedia, but it doesn't quite. If anything, it equates to a number of wikiprojects, including but not limited to Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata and Wikivoyage. Trying to work everything into the title would be confusing. The primary purpose is to help people understand that you can contribute to a wiki, to Wikimedia projects, to Wikipedia - and for that the 'wiki' is all valid. There are some more reasons that played into the name selection though, including a 'good sound'. We could look at pages which are confusing though - that is something we do an an ongoing basis. Have you run into particular confusions by Wiki Loves Monuments participants? Effeietsanders (talk) 19:17, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
- Thank you for your answers. They make good sense. Maybe I asked in the wrong place, what I wrote applies to all "Wiki loves" contests, it's just that "Wiki Loves Monuments" is the most conspicuous. Now that I think about it, it's strange that there isn't a name which covers all "these" wiki projects, but not the thousands of other wiki sites in the world. Maproom (talk) 16:52, 4 October 2016 (UTC)
Licensed by CC BY-SA is necessary or not?Edit
hi ,i am dheeraj bhushan from india . i am very confused about all photos licensed by CC BY-SA .So i want to know that the photos which i am uploading for the competition must be licensed by CC BY-SA.it is necessary or not. —Preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 08:10, 26 September 2016 (UTC)
Muhammedadeel WLM PakistanEdit
- Hi Gareth E. Kegg. From personal experience: this happened in Iran with one of the users in 2015 as well. I contacted the user and explained to him/her that the photos will have a higher chance of winning without watermarks, and that watermarks are not encouraged in general. The user fixed the photos and re-uploaded them, thanking us for letting him/her know. Sometimes all it takes is to explain to the user because they simply may not know it. --LilyOfTheWest (talk) 12:41, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
- Godot13, thanks for noticing this. effeietsanders was looking into this yesterday and he can explain more here. --LilyOfTheWest (talk) 12:37, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
- This issue was also raised and handled here: Commons talk:Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Antarctica. Thanks for the ping though. Effeietsanders (talk) 19:12, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
People in photographEdit
Just wanted to check whether it is acceptable to have a person in a photo of a monument? The photo that I am considering has a single human element in it, though the photo is about the monument/structure. The single person is not identifiable by face or otherwise, but overall it adds to the visual aesthetics of the image and contributes towards the story of the photo.
- Hi Dey.sandip. It is generally fine to have a human element in the photo as long as long as the human is not the focus of the photo (which doesn't seem to be the case based on your description). What is considered "focus" is a bit fuzzy though. Last year, in the international level, the 9th winning photo had quite a few humans in it. Please check Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2015_winners#Winners here. Also, as a general rule of thumb and for this competition: if you are in doubt about whether the photo will be eligible because of the presence of humans in the photo, just upload it. The worst case is if it won't be considered for your local competition, but that photo can still be useful somewhere else on Wikimedia projects. Good luck! --LilyOfTheWest (talk) 13:19, 29 September 2016 (UTC)
information about jaigarh fort,jaipurEdit
hi, Tell me please jaigarh fort is a part of amber,Jaipur,rajasthan?
Register My Email AddressEdit
I accidentally requested to have my email address removed for Ambassadorjpc. Can you please register email@example.com? Thank you!
WLM Upload SectionEdit
- Hi @Tabraizqamar11: Yes! If you have taken a photo of a cultural or historical site, and the country the site is located in is participating in WLM this year (see list), you are welcome to contribute your photos. Please refer to each country's specific page for rules. ~Kevin Payravi (talk) 07:40, 30 September 2016 (UTC)
how to delete photoEdit
I inadvertently uploaded a photo that wasnt on the NRHP list and tagged it with the wrong name. How do I delete it from the contest? It is on the KY landmark list and was going to upload it to WIKI separately
Can I upload photos I took hen I was on my trip ? like Greece or Capri ? I am from US .
to know the monuments idEdit
What is the last date to submitphotos?Edit
What is the last date to submitphotos?
- Mrudula Khanna, for most participating countries the last submission day is today.--Ymblanter (talk) 19:41, 30 September 2016 (UTC)
how to attach an imageEdit
how to attach an image
18.104.22.168 11:05, 30 September 2016 (UTC)
Which of my uploaded image was used by WIKIEdit
I have uploaded 19 images. in Leader board page, it says 1 image was used by wiki. How to find which image is used.
my username is : chincholkar https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikiloves/monuments/2016/India