Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States/Maryland
Welcome to the Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States guide for the state of Maryland. Use the guide below to track down registered historic sites to photograph for the contest. If you have content to add, feel free to help expand the guide!
Places to photographEdit
National Register of Historic PlacesEdit
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the federal government's official list of historic places that are deemed worthy of preservation.
Some 2,500 of the 90,000 NRHP sites are also recognized as National Historic Landmarks (NHL), which have outstanding historical significance.
State designated sitesEdit
The Maryland Historical Trust maintains the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (MIHP). A searchable research database contains over 13,000 archeological sites and 43,000 historic and architectural resources.
This section needs expansion - can you help?
Local historic sites and districtsEdit
In addition to historic sites recognized by the federal and state governments, many localities also maintain their own lists of historic sites, landmarks, and districts. Explore whether any local cities by you have their own lists of historical sites (often maintained by local historic societies).
List of local historic site lists:
- Anne Arundel County has an Inventory of Historic Properties, drawn up by the Cultural Resources Division.
- The Baltimore County Landmarks Preservation Commission maintains a Landmarks List of heritage sites in Baltimore County. As of August 18 2017, there are 390 Final Landmarks and 1 Preliminary Landmark.
- Baltimore City Council designates Historic Districts throughout Baltimore County. As of April 6 2016, there are 17 historic districts in the county.
- E. H. T. Traceries researched African American historic communities for the Landmarks Preservation Commission in Baltimore County. Descriptions, pictures, and maps of 37 African American Historic Survey Districts have been compiled as of April 6 2016.
- Prince George's County maintains an Illustrated Inventory of Historic Sites and Districts.
None yet! We encourage local organizers to host a photowalk to visit local historic sites. If you host one, please list it here.