Open main menu

File:A history of Cleveland and its environs; the heart of new Connecticut, Elroy McKendree Avery (1918) (14802385733).jpg

Original file(1,984 × 1,634 pixels, file size: 222 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)

SummaryEdit

Description
English:

Identifier: historyofclevela01aver (find matches)
Title: A history of Cleveland and its environs; the heart of new Connecticut, Elroy McKendree Avery
Year: 1918 (1910s)
Authors: Avery, Elroy McKendree, 1844-1935 Lewis Publishing Company
Subjects: Ohio
Publisher: Chicago, New York : The Lewis Publishing Company
Contributing Library: University of California Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: Internet Archive

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
he old Portage path. A less frequented trail existed from the Indianvillages of Tawas or Ottawas and Wingoes, at Tinkers Creek, by ashorter route, direct to the crossing of the Cuyahoga at the StandingStone, near Kent. The paekhorsemen, who transported goods andflour to the northwest from 1786 to 1795, followed this trail, crossingthe Cuyahoga at Tinkers Creek. Soon after the survey of the westside lands, the irrepressible Ma.jor Lorenzo Carter, who now was wellto do, and his son, Alonzo, bought land over there near the mouth ofthe river; the son occupied the land and there kept the Red Housetavern opposite Superior Lane. Most of the settlers on the west sidelived near the lake in the vicinity of Main and Detroit avenues, but asquatter from Canada by the name of Granger had, prior to 1812,found a gras.sy slope running up from the river near the presentRiverside Cemetery. This slope was long known as Grangers Hill;when the squatter came I can not tell because I do not know, but, in 171
Text Appearing After Image:
1812-18) EARLY WEST SIDERS 173 1815, ho moved on to the Maumee country. In May, 1812, JamesFish came from Groton, just across the Thames River from NewLondon, Connecticut, the first pennanent settler of Brooklyn town-ship. According to the record made by Mr. Kennedy, he had purchasedland from Mr. Lord and his partners, the owners of the township, and,in the summer of 1811, left the old Nutmeg State with his familystored away in a wagon drawn by oxen. He was accompanied byquite a company of pioneers, and spent forty-seven days upon Ihe road.He passed the winter in Newburg; early in the spring of 1812, hecrossed over to Brooklyn, erected a log-house at a cost of eighteen dol-lars, and in May took his family over and commenced house-keeping.In the same year came Moses and Ebenezcr Fish, the last named serv-ing as one of the militiamen guarding the Indian murderer, whoseexecution in 1812 has been elsewhere recorded. In 1813, came OziasBrainard, of Connecticut, with his family; while in 18

Note About Images

Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Date
Source https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/14802385733/
Author Internet Archive Book Images
Permission
(Reusing this file)

At the time of upload, the image license was automatically confirmed using the Flickr API. For more information see Flickr API detail.

Volume 1
Flickr tags
Flickr posted date


LicensingEdit

This image was taken from Flickr's The Commons. The uploading organization may have various reasons for determining that no known copyright restrictions exist, such as:
  1. The copyright is in the public domain because it has expired;
  2. The copyright was injected into the public domain for other reasons, such as failure to adhere to required formalities or conditions;
  3. The institution owns the copyright but is not interested in exercising control; or
  4. The institution has legal rights sufficient to authorize others to use the work without restrictions.

More information can be found at https://flickr.com/commons/usage/.


Please add additional copyright tags to this image if more specific information about copyright status can be determined. See Commons:Licensing for more information.
Checked copyright icon.svg This image was originally posted to Flickr by Internet Archive Book Images at https://flickr.com/photos/126377022@N07/14802385733. It was reviewed on by FlickreviewR and was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the No known copyright restrictions.

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current19:02, 11 October 2015Thumbnail for version as of 19:02, 11 October 20151,984 × 1,634 (222 KB)SteinsplitterBot (talk | contribs)Bot: Image rotated by 90°
04:01, 4 October 2015Thumbnail for version as of 04:01, 4 October 20151,634 × 1,992 (223 KB) (talk | contribs)== {{int:filedesc}} == {{information |description={{en|1=<br> '''Identifier''': historyofclevela01aver ([https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&profile=default&fulltext=Search&search=insource%3A%2Fhistoryofclevela01aver%2F fin...
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.