Open main menu

Wikimedia Commons β

File:Detail view of porte cochere, looking N. (Ceronie) - Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 1, Gillespie Avenue between Terrace Drive and Hedge Lane, Rock Island, Rock Island County HABS ILL,81-ROCIL,3-1-6.tif

Original file(5,000 × 4,005 pixels, file size: 19.1 MB, MIME type: image/tiff)

SummaryEdit

Title Detail view of porte cochere, looking N. (Ceronie) - Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 1, Gillespie Avenue between Terrace Drive and Hedge Lane, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL
Description Rodman, Thomas Jefferson
Depicted place Illinois; Rock Island County; Rock Island
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS ILL,81-ROCIL,3-1-6
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for construction of ten large manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. These core manufacturing structures were supplemented by a variety of administrative, residential, maintenance, storage, and utility buildings. Although only a few buildings were erected prior to Rodman's death in 1871, subsequent construction under Rodman's nineteenth-century successors closely conformed to the original plan. Located on the island's north-central shore, the Commanding Officer's Quarters was one of the first building's erected under the Rodman plan. Designed by Rodman, it was completed in the fall of 1871, a few months after his death. The richly ornamented limestone structure is a superb example of Italianate architecture. In its scale and detailing, it symbolized the arsenal's importance as a major government installation and strongly influenced the design of three neighboring subaltern officer's quarters (see HABS Nos. IL-1001F, IL-1001G, IL 1001H). The building is part of the Rock Island Arsenal National Register Historic District.
  • Survey number: HABS IL-1001-E
  • Building/structure dates: 1871 Initial Construction
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1905 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1957 Subsequent Work
References
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg

This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is 69000057

Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/il0528.photos.063543p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the public domain in the United States. See the NPS website and NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Object location41° 30′ 33.98″ N, 90° 34′ 43″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current18:56, 16 July 2014Thumbnail for version as of 18:56, 16 July 20145,000 × 4,005 (19.1 MB) (talk | contribs)GWToolset: Creating mediafile for Fæ. HABS 16 July 2014 (1201:1400)
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that link to this file.

Metadata