Fountains in the Park of Versailles
The Fountain of Apollo was designed and built by André Le Nôtre for the gardens of Versailles. The bronze centrepiece by Jean-Baptiste Tuby represents Apollo emerging from the water in a chariot drawn by four horses.
The Fountain of Latone lies between the castle of Versailles and the Grand Canal. Designed by André Le Nôtre in 1666, it underwent substantive modifications by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1687 and 1689. The sculptures by Balthazard Marsy represent Latone turning Lycian peasants into frogs after they refuse to give water to her and her children Apollo and Diana.
The Mirror Fountain, which faces the King's Gardens, was commissionned by Louis XIV in 1702. Jean Hardy sculpted the two dragon statues framing the pool.
The Fountain of Neptune was built between 1679 and 1681 by André Le Nôtre, and underwent some changes by Ange-Jacques Gabriel in 1736. The sculpted groups decorate the fountain since 1740: Neptune and Amphitrite by Lambert Sigisbert Adam, the sea-god Oceanus by Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, and Protaeus by Edmé Bouchardon.
The Fountain of Flora is an allegory of Spring. The statue of the goddess Flora crowned with flowers was sculpted by Jean-Baptiste Tuby between 1672 and 1679.
The Fountain of Ceres, an allegory of Summer, represents the goddess Ceres seated on sheaves of wheat with cornflowers and roses. The statue was sculpted between 1672 and 1679 by Thomas Regnaudin after a drawing by Charles Le Brun.
The Fountain of Bacchus, an allegory of Autumn, represents Bacchus surrounded by tiny Satyrs, reclining over grapes. It was sculpted in 1672-1675 by Balthazar and Gaspard Marsy.
The Fountain of Saturn, an allegory of Winter, represents Saturn surrounded by putti on a shell-strewn island. It was sculpted by François Girardon in 1672.
Bosquet de l'Arc-de-TriompheEdit
The grove of the Triumphal Arch was built between 1677 and 1684. Only one fountain remains from the original three. Sculpted by Jean-Baptiste Tuby, it represents France triumphing over her enemies at the Peace of Nijmegen (1678).
The Grove of Apollo's Baths was originally designed by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1670 and 1673, reputedly at the request of Mme de Montespan; Hubert Robert produced in 1776–8 a new layout which survives to our day. The marble group Apollo served by the nymphs was sculpted by François Girardon and Thomas Regnaudin in 1666.
The grove of the Dolphin is one of the two first groves designed by André Le Nôtre in 1661–3. The fountain represents a dolphin spouting water; the current statue is a copy by Anne Nicole set up in 2004.
The grove was first designed by André Le Nôtre in 1675, and then modified several times. Its current name comes from the two nearby marble domed pavillions built in 1677 by Jules Hardouin-Mansart.
The design was first laid out by André Le Nôtre in 1671, and then simplified by Louis XIV.
The grove was laid out by André Le Nôtre between 1680 and 1683, and inaugurated in 1685.
The grove was laid out by André Le Nôtre in 1677 after a design by Louis XIV himself. It is comprises three terraces, each with a different fountain.