Pella in Jordan
The site of Pella in JordanEdit
Pella in Jordan is located in the eastern foothills of the north Jordan Valley. The site has been occupied for over 10,000 years on the main mound, and for over a 100,000 years in the immediate vicinity. In 1979 excavation at the site was renewed under the auspicies of the Jordanian Department of Antiquities, the University of Sydney, Australia, and Wooster College, USA. Since 1985 the site has been excavated by the Jordanian Department of Antiquities and the University of Sydney. In this time, major discoveries from many periods of history have been made. In recent years the focus of the excavations has been the investigation of a large Middle Bronze Age (1650 BC) Migdol (Fortress) Temple. With excavation of this structure now complete it has been shown that this temple is the largest of its type and antiquity yet uncovered in the Levant. Excavation continues at the site.