Open main menu
Las Lajas Sanctuary is a basilica church located in the southern Department of Nariño, municipality of Ipiales, Colombia. The place has been a popular pilgrimage location since the apparition of the Virgin Mary in 1754. The first shrine was built by 1750 and was replaced by a bigger one in 1802, including a bridge over the canyon of the Guáitara River. The present temple, in Gothic Revival style, was built between 1916 and 1949.

This is the English translation of the Picture of the day description page from .

Las Lajas Sanctuary is a basilica church located in the southern Department of Nariño, municipality of Ipiales, Colombia. The place has been a popular pilgrimage location since the apparition of the Virgin Mary in 1754. The first shrine was built by 1750 and was replaced by a bigger one in 1802, including a bridge over the canyon of the Guáitara River. The present temple, in Gothic Revival style, was built between 1916 and 1949.

Descriptions in other languages: