The old New York County Courthouse is known as the Tweed Courthouse, built in the American Victorian style with funds obtained by the infamous William M. "Boss Tweed". The courthouse is located at 52 Chambers Street, just north of City Hall. The building was designed by the architect John Kellum and constructed from 1861–1872.
The project was completed by architect Leopold Eidlitz who added the rear wing and interior renovations from 1877–1881. The building was designated as a New York City Landmark and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Modern restoration and historic preservation of the courthouse were completed in 2001. The second oldest city government building in New York City, after City Hall.